Monday, April 9, 2012

Veganizing my Past

When I started Down to Earth, I had yet to begin my culinary journey of plant-based foods. Looking through this blog, there is a clear line in the sand. Although some posts before then are vegan, many aren't. Thus, my new project to Veganize my Past. Starting with Japanese Curry Rice!

Also, I feel a little guilty just giving you a reblog, so here are some pictures of my garden. Start planning the recipes now!


The parsley, sage, rosemary, and oregano survived from last year! (Sorry, Simon & Garfunkel - so close!) Planted 2 new blueberry bushes to go with the strawberries that just won't quit! Edamame is popping up nicely and my four squashes are growing like wildfire. The green beans are slow but hopefully steady. Cucumbers and tomatoes are but seedlings, but they look promising! In fact, I have so many cucumbers that I am going to sell a few sprouts in my yardsale next weekend!


Oh heck, and if you've read this far, you deserve a little treat! So, here's my latest obsession:

 Vegan Paninis

 Say that five times fast.

Ingredients (to make 2 paninis):
1 T olive oil
4 slices whole wheat bread
4 T hummus (make your own, but that's another blog)
1/2 cu sprouts (I used a deli sprout combo of alfalfa, broccoli, and mustard seed!)
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1 ripe avocado, thinly sliced
S&P

1. Spread hummus on inside of all four slices.
2. Layer with avocado and tomato slices.
3. Top with sprouts and season with S&P.
4. Brush outsides with olive oil and cook in a panini press. Or make your own if you're like me - Heat 2 cast iron skillets on medium-high. Put the sandwiches in one skillet and place the second heated skillet on top, so that the bottom smushes the sandwiches (you may want to spray with olive oil first). Put a few cans in the top skillet to provide some weight. Press for 2 minutes.

I think the hummus is a must, but other than that the possibilities are endless - roasted red pepper & mushroom, grilled eggplant & marinara, peanut butter & banana!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment