Saturday, May 4, 2013

Top 5 Secrets of a Super Packer

After years of travel for work, packing has become second nature to me. I rarely bring more than a carry on, no matter how many days of travel lie ahead of me. But I recently had one of my more extreme trips: three weeks straight! I am proud to say I did so with only two suitcases and didn't even use the extenders. In fact, I had to pack my projector, snacks, and some other work essentials along with the clothes; take those items out and I could've done it in one!

You may be traveling for leisure, but I am certain you can use these 5 packing tips to your advantage. And you won't even need to make room for all of the suit jackets and shoes. :)

Tip # 1: Organize
Yes, yes, the simple secret to success will always be organization. But here's how I do it. About a week before my departure date, I clear a space in my closet. Then I hang up everything I might want to wear, which is usually way more than I need to pack. I narrow down the outfits based on how many days I am traveling, how many cities I am hitting (more cities means more repeatable outfits since I will be around a new audience).


I also narrow down the outfits based on how many pairs of shoes I am bringing. I make sure that each pair goes with at least two outfits. My shoes are multitaskers! Eight in this instance, including a pair of running shoes and a pair of Toms. Comfort after long hours at work is crucial and I love that these shoes lay flat in my briefcase so that I can slip them on as soon as I "clock out." And yes, I brought two pairs of pink heels, but it was a necessity!



As you can see, I pack mostly dresses. They rarely need additional ironing and they take up much less space than pants or suits. I hang complete outfits on each hanger and arrange the outfits in the order that I will wear them. This will be important in Tip # 4!



Tip # 2: Accessorize
So this is an organizational tip as well, but it keeps your necklaces from getting tangled and it keeps you from forgetting the finishing touches of a great outfit when you travel. I place the accessories for each outfit in a sandwich baggie on the hanger. I also separate my intimates into these baggies, which not only saves space but makes sure I have just the right item to wear with each outfit. (You know you've been stuck in that final day of a trip wearing that last pair of granny panties with those skinny jeans. Never again!)




Tip # 3: Travel Day
Plan to wear your bulkiest outfit. For me, this meant my orange blazer and my pair of jeans. It's smart to wear layers on the airplane, too, because they never can figure out that thermostat - it's either burning up or freezing cold.

Tip # 4: Packing Smart

I use two suitcases - one for clothes and shoes; one for beauty. My suitcases are first gen Samsonite spinners. Here is a more updated version currently available at department stores:

Start with your shoes. I like to fit as many as I can into the zipper compartment of my larger bag.

Next, gather about 1/2 (up to 8 outfits) of your clothes still on the hangers and gently fold them into the suitcase:


Then, gather and fold the remaining outfits on hangers and fold the other way, so there is an equal number of hangers at the top and bottom of the suitcase. Large suitcase: check!

What is great about this technique is that when you arrive to your destination, unpacking is a snap. Just pull out and hang! Hardly a wrinkle and already in the order you are going to wear them!

The smaller carry on sized suit case I use for any non hanger clothes like socks and pajamas (I bring two pairs and shower before I get in my jammies, so they stay clean), beauty accessories, and the aforementioned work necessities like snacks and my projector. Which brings me to...

Tip # 5: Beauty Smarts
Although I travel enough to be precheck (a special airport security line where among other perks, you do not have to remove liquids from your bag), I try to travel with as few liquids as possible. No accidental spillage! Here are my top 5 travel necessities from Lush:

Eau Roma Water: The one liquid I would not mind spilling in my bag! It's a spritz toner and a great travel accessory.  It smells like lavender which helps to soothe and hydrate road warrior skin.

Strawberry Feels Forever: This massage bar is the perfect liquidless lotion.

Coconut Deodorant Powder: This stuff is brilliant! In addition to its main purpose, I also sprinkle it in my shoes, use it as undereye powder to set my makeup, and as dry shampoo in a pinch!

Orange Blossom: Solid perfume goes wherever I do to keep me smelling yummy.

Godiva: I saved the best for last. This miracle bar is everything I need in the tub. Shampoo and conditioner in one, it also acts as a body wash and shaving cream! And the jasmine smell is to die for!

 Bonus: This is post trip, but I've recently started using their toothy tabs, and I am hooked! An alternative to toothpaste, your teeth will never felt cleaner save a trip to the dentist, and the container is recyclable or compost-able! A much better alternative to the tube!

Well, there you have it! Five great tips to help you pack smarter! Now, go buy that ticket to paradise! Happy travels!


No comments:

Post a Comment