Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Vegan Fried Green Tomatoes

Green tomatoes and I have a long history. When I was 2, I snuck into the garden with my play shopping cart and went up and down the rows of tomatoes, picking all the ones I could get my hands on. Every single green one. I then proceeded to stroll up to my mother, green tomatoes in tow, to show her what a great helper I was. 

Picture the cart piled high with green tomatoes instead of kittens.

Need I say she was less than impressed. I am not sure what happened to all of those green tomatoes, but I do know what's going to happen to these: 

This year's tomato plants finally succumbed to the cold weather and I had to pick all of the unripe tomatoes off the vine. But this turned out to be a happy accident as I was able to make a Southern delicacy typically saved for the summer: Fried Green Tomatoes!

Ingredients:

1 T flax seed
2 T water
1/2 cu soy milk
5 grinds Black Pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper (optional)
1 t Salt
1/2 cu whole wheat flour
1 cu corn meal
vegetable oil for frying

Directions:
Combine 1 T flax seed with 2 T water in a small skillet. Boil over medium high heat for 2 minutes.
Cool and whisk together with ½ cu soy milk, 5 grinds of ground black pepper, 1 t salt and the cayenne if you like a little heat.

Slice green tomatoes and add to soy milk mixture.
This layer's all about flavor.

Let marinate for at least 10 minutes. In the meantime, make crunchy coating by combining 1/2 cu whole wheat flour with 1 cu corn meal. Note that the S&P seasonings go in the wet marinade, not the dry coating. This is for two reasons: first, you want to season the tomatoes directly; secondly, if the seasoning is on the outside, it's more likely to burn.


This layer's all about texture.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. Dredge tomatoes in corn meal coating and add to skillet in a single layer. Don't crowd them - You may have to do this in batches if you can't fit all of the tomatoes. The oil should sizzle when you add the tomatoes. If not, the oil is not hot enough.

Cook on one side for 3 - 5 minutes and flip. They should be golden brown on the bottom (which is now the top).

Continue frying for an additional 3 - 5 minutes. Remove tomatoes and drain on paper towels. There is nothing like a remoulade sauce to go with your FGT, but in the vegan spirit, I served these with a basil - infused balsamic reduction. I didn't miss the mayo.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment